Oncologist – Philantropist – Businessman
- Founder & President, Requins, LLC
- BOAT4ADAY, LLC
- Globonics, LLC
- Aphrodite Salon & Spa
- A1 Maisons
Co-Founder, LC & AC Holdings, Inc
Controlling Partner of Requins, LLC
Founder & President, Texienne Oncology Centers, PLLC
Ex Officio up to November 10, 2016
President of the Governing Body Apollo Hospita
Chief Executive Officer:
- Greater Houston Physicians Medical Association, PLLC
- Greater Houston Cancer Clinic
- Central Texas Physicians Management, L.P.
- ENZO Medical Services
Dr. Choksi originally relocated to Texas to undertake a Fellowship in Medical Oncology at the University of Texas M.D Anderson Cancer Center (UTMDACC). During his Fellowship, Dr. Choksi was certified as a Diplomat by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and also as a Diplomat by the ABIM- Medical Oncology, with the 2nd highest exam grade in the country.
Upon completion of his Fellowship, Dr. Choksi held multiple positions within the UTMDAC, as well as the UT Medical School, University of Houston Texas Health Science Center. Dr. Choksi observed that hospitals were progressively more ‘big business’ oriented, with financial targets and budgets increasingly placed as a priority over patient care. Dr. Choksi noted that the physicians themselves were extremely dedicated, but were often limited by hospital bureaucracy.
Dr. Choksi was convinced that if clinics were instead owned and operated by physicians, they could work within their own guiding principles, and focus on delivering a world-class standard of healthcare. Dr. Choksi realized this ambition by establishing a private oncology practice in 1992.
Dr Choksi founder the Houston Physicians Medical Association (HPMA)
Dr. Choksi founded the Greater Houston Physician’s Medical Association (GHPMA) with 19 other physicians. GHPMA has grown exponentially over the last 5 years employing over 137 physicians within the community, and over 500 support staff.
Dr. Choksi formed various subsidiary companies including Enzo Medical Services, LP (‘Enzo’) in June 2011. Enzo currently operates two free standing 24-hour Emergency Center in the Woodlands, Houston, in addition to the Woodlands Ambulatory Surgery Center (‘WASC’). Another subsidiary, Central Texas Physician’s Management, LP (‘CTPM’) is a management company formed by Dr Choksi, to provide non-physician / administrative services to the Group and its affiliates.
Dr. Choksi founded Apollo Hospital System located in the Woodlands, a five-bed acute care clinic, focusing on personalized, multi-disciplinary medical care. The Hospital provides oncology, cardiology and surgical services, including a biopsy clinic, radiation therapy, infusion therapy, and imaging services.
Dr Choksi formed Choksi Group of companies as the parent company for all affiliated pre-existing companies.
Given patients demand for quality care, Dr. Choksi founded Texienne Oncology Centers to provide customized and affordable concierge medical solutions with a proactive care to his patients.
Education & Professional Accolades
- 1981: G.S. Medical School, Bombay, India-M.B.B.S
- 1975: Jaihind College, Bombay, India-Int. Sc
- 7/1985- 6/1988:
- University of Texas System Cancer Center, M.D. Anderson
- Hospital and Tumor Institute, Department of Medical Oncology- Medical Oncology Fellowship
- 7/1984- 6/1985: Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois- Medical Oncology Fellowship
- 8/1981- 6/1984: Cook County Hospital, Chicago, Illinois-Residency in Internal Medicine
- 3/1981-6/1981: KEM Hospital, Bombay, India-Residency in CCU
- 1/1980-1/1981: KEM Hospital, Bombay, India-Rotating Internship
- 1980: Certificate by Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
(ECFMG) Score: 83 passed examination on the first attempt.
- 1980: Certificate for Visa Qualifying Examination (VQE)- passed on first attempt
- 1982: Certificate by Federation of Licensing Boards (FLEX) Score: 84-passed examination on the first attempt
- 1983: General Medical License, State of Illinois- inactive
- 1986 – Present: General Medical License, State of Texas
- 1986: Certified as a Diplomat by American Board of Internal Medicine- passed examination on first attempt
- 1987: General Medical License , State of Florida- inactive at present
- 1987: Certified as a Diplomat by American Board of Internal Medicine-Medical Oncology- Score: 98- passed examination on first attempt. 2nd highest score received for the ABIM/ Medical Oncology
- 1990: Awarded Fellowship to American College of Physicians
- 1991-1992: University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Medical
- Oncology, Houston, Texas, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Assistant Internist
- 1994: Clinical Preceptor for UT Medical School at UTHSC
- 1994: Section Chairman of Hematology/Oncology Committee at Houston Northwest Medical Center
- 1995: Clinical Instructor UT Medical School UTHSC
- 1995-1999: Affiliate Consultant Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine. Section of Clinical Oncology, Department of Clinical Investigation, Division of Medicine UTMD Anderson Cancer Center
- 2003: Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
Dr. Choksi is a Board-Certified Oncologist based in The Woodlands, Texas and a well-respected figure in the community. He is a businessman who has dedicated his time to create positive change within the American healthcare industry.
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine for Medical Oncology, with an examination score of 98, the second highest in the country in 1987
- 1990: Awarded fellowship by the American College of Physicians
- 2002: Houston Cancer Clinic, Asit Choksi, Awarded 10 Years of Dedicated Service and Commitment to Excellence.
- 2007: Awarded by Ernst & Young, Entrepreneur of the year, HPMA
- 2008: Awarded by Ernst & Young, Entrepreneur of the year, HPMA, Finalist
- 2008: Recognized as a Distinguished Fellow of both the American Academy of Oncology and the American College of Cancer Specialists
- 2007-2009: Selected as one of American’s Top Oncologist by Consumers’ Research Council of America
- 2009: Named Man of the Year 2009 by the American Biographical Institute for Outstanding Contributions
- 2009: Named Man of the Year 2009 by The American Biographical Institute for outstanding contributions to medicine and healthcare
- 2011: Magna Cum Laude, Awarded by American Biographical Institute by Authority of its President
- 2012: Awarded World Hall of Fame, for Integrity and Distinction in Medicine by American Biographical Institute
- 2012: Appointed as Scholar Ambassador by American Biographical Institute
- 2014: Awarded EY Awarded EY Entrepreneur of the year by Gulf Coast Area, 2014 Finalist, GHPMA
Membership / Professional Organization
- American College of Physicians- Fellow
- American Society of Clinical Oncology- Member
- Southern Medical Association- Member
- Harris County Medical Society- Member
- Texas Medical Association- Member
- American Medical Association- Member
- American Academy Of Oncology- Distinguished Fellow
- American Academy of Oncology- Distinguished Fellow of American College of Cancer Specialists
Professional & Academic Appointments
- 1991-1992: Assistant Professor of Medicine and Assistant Internist at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center: Department of Medical Oncology in Houston, Texas
- 1994: Appointed as Section Chairman of Hematology/ Oncology Committee at Houston Northwest Medical Center
- 1994: Appointed as Clinical Preceptor for UT Medical School at UTHSC
- 1995: Appointed as Clinical Instructor UT Medical School at UTHSC
- 1995- 1999: Affiliate Consultant Adjunct Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Clinical Oncology, Department of Clinical Investigation, Division of Medicine, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- 2003- 2006: Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic/ Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- 1992-2016: President, Greater Houston Cancer Clinic
- 1997-2016: President, Greater Houston Physicians Medical Association
- 1995- present: Rotary Club- Humble Intercontinental
- 1997-present: Life Member- Republican Senatorial Inner Circle
- 2000-present: Nominated Presidential Roundtable
- 2001-2003: Board Member- John Cooper School
- 2002: Honored Member- Strathmore’s Who’s Who
- 2002-present: Member of the Physicians’ Advisory Board of the National Republican Congressional Committee
- 2013-2016: President of Governing Body- Apollo Hospital Systems
- 12/2013-present: Apollo Hospital- The Woodlands, Texas
- 2003-present: St Luke’s Hospital- The Woodlands, Texas
- 1995-present: Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, Texas Tomball Regional Hospital, Tomball, Texas Conroe Regional Hospital, Conroe, Texas
- 3/1992-present: Houston Northwest Medical Center, Houston Texas Memorial Hermann Northeast Medical Center- Humble, Texas Kingwood Regional Hospital, Kingwood, Texas
- 7/1991-3/1992: M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas
- 1988-1991: Baptist Hospital, Beaumont, Texas
- 1988-1991: St. Elizabeth Hospital, Beaumont, Texas
- Choksi. A.J. Hong, WK: Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. In: Handbook of Chemotherapy in Clinical Oncology. Droz JP, Cvitkovic E, Armand JP. and Khoury S (eds) F. I. I. S., Paris, France, pp 317- 385, 1988.
- Choksi. A.J. Hong WK: Chemotherapy of head and neck cancer. In Nicolini, M (ed): Platinum and other Metal Coordination Compounds in Cancer Chemotherapy, Martinus Nijhoff Publishing, pp. 375- 385, 1988.
- Choksi. A.J. Hong, WK, Dimery IW, James, P, Guillamondegu, O, and Byers, R: Continuous infusion cisplatin (24- hour) and – fluorouracil (120- hour) in recurrent head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer 61: 909- 912, 1988.
- Choksi. A.J. Dimery IW, and Hong, WK: Adjuvant chemotherapy of head and neck cancer: the past, the present, and the future. Semin Oncol Vol 15, NO. 3: 45-59, 1988.
- Choksi. A.J. Dimery IW, Kramer AM, and Hong, WK: Strategy of Combining Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy in Advanced Head and Neck Cancer. Proceedings of 2nd International Congress on Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Colloque Inserm John Libbey series. 287- 294, 1988.
- Paredes J. Hong WK, Felder TB, Dimery IW, Choksi AJ, Newman RA, Castellanos AM, Robbins KT, McCarthy K, Atkinson N, Kramer AM, Hersh EM, and Geopfert H: Prospective randomized trail of high dose cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil infusion with or without sodium diethyldithiocarbamate (DDTC) in recurrent and/ or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J Clin Oncol. Vol 6, No. 6: 955-962, 1988.
- Choksi. A.J. Dimery IW, and Hong WK: Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Handbook of Chemotherapy in Clinical Oncology. Eds: Droz JP, Cvitkovic E, Armand JP, and Khoury S: 317-323, 1988.
- Choksi, AJ, Dimery IW, and Hong, WK: Oral cancers, other head and neck tumors: Pitfalls and controversies in diagnoses and treatment. Medical consultant: 100- 108, August 1988.